Established in 1848 on a portion of the Asahel Davis farm, the Union Burying Grounds was founded by ten pioneer families who were members of the Methodist Union. The families holding plots here were major contributors to the early growth, prosperity, and well-being of Nelson and the Village of Wellington Square: Baxter, Crosby, Cummins, Davis, Fisher, Gage, Galloway, Ghent, Kerns, and Pearl. Almost 150 years later, the descendants of its founders continue to manage and maintain this historic burial place. The fine brick wall was built in 1888 by Jabez Bent, who had been building brick houses in this area from 1850. The wrought iron gates and name plaque also date from 1888. The grave markers are invaluable historic records and merit expert conservation and preservation.
The Union Burying Grounds1001 Plains Rd. E
Burlington On L7T 4K1